SIGN IN:   Password      »Sign up

Message board   »Message Board home    »Sign-in or register to get started

Online now: 0 members ; 11 anonymous
Change topic:

Discussion: Updates Crabtown Classic May 29th Glenn Burnie MD

Posted Discussion
May 7

67 posts
Updates Crabtown Classic May 29th Glenn Burnie MD
Crabtown Classic Tournament May 29-31 Glenn Burnie MD

Does anyone know when SSUSA will confirm this Tournament will be played?
What Date to Confirm?
May 7
Men's 60
345 posts
Updates Crabtown Classic May 29th Glenn Burnie MD
PLAYER99 - So now that York is officially cancelled you moved onto the next one? :-)

My assumption is that you don't have an email address so therefore you don't get the newsletter which I rec'd LATE last night and it spoke to this specific tourney?

Maryland - No end date, indefinite
May 29 - 31: CRABTOWN CLASSIC Glen Burnie, MD
June 13 - 14: The Old Line State Showdown Westminster, MD

The beach and boardwalk in Ocean City, Maryland, are scheduled to reopen Saturday. No masks are required; however, social distancing remains in effect. SSUSA is waiting for confirmation on fields being open.

SSUSA National and Mid-Atlantic Director Tim McElroy has been in contact with the complexes in Maryland.

Based on this there is NO specific date BUT this was also included in the Newsletter:
HOWEVER, we recommend not sending in entry fees until we are closer to the entry fee deadlines. That especially applies to the Reno and Glen Burnie tournaments.

So IF you are booking rooms for whichever location you MIGHT be playing at, I would make sure that they can be cancelled. Me personally, I am just going to scramble IF they decide to play this one.

Hope this helps.
May 7

956 posts
Updates Crabtown Classic May 29th Glenn Burnie MD
SSUSA gave a pretty clear update on the status of the Crabtown Classic in yesterday's newsletter. As of now, the tournament is still on. If there are changes, we will communicate with everyone.

Please be patient and let SSUSA make any announcements on the tournament.
May 11

11 posts
Updates Crabtown Classic May 29th Glenn Burnie MD
I am on the brink of pulling my team out of the Crabtown Classic due to the news that we are receiving about how bad it is down in the Annapolis/Glen Burnie/Baltimore area with this virus. One of our other New York teams have already pulled out. The problem we have is we have a combination of players from the upstate New York area and the Boston MA area and we are still under the restrictions of stay at home until maybe the end of this week and our cases are not as bad as what they are down in Baltimore area.. Tournaments that were scheduled after the Crabtown have already been cancelled. Just my two cents if it is worth it, we all love playing senior softball but if there are restrictions in hotels and restaurants re-opening will definitely determine whether teams will come and things do not look good for the Baltimore area. Is SSUSA staff seeing something different then the rest of us are seeing?
May 11
k man
Men's 65
326 posts
Updates Crabtown Classic May 29th Glenn Burnie MD
dwniel, Our LIJags team was planning on going but unfortunately will not. I think we were planning on sending 4 or 5 teams but due to all the uncertainty we will err on the side of caution. Our local leagues have not even considered starting. Fields are closed so no bp, practice. When its safe to go, we'll be back out there but until then it's a no go. Stay safe everyone!
May 11
Men's 60
345 posts
Updates Crabtown Classic May 29th Glenn Burnie MD
dwniel - There are a LOT of concerns about safety, whether to play or not, all valid. That said, SSUSA runs a BUSINESS and like a lot of business', they have TRIED to do what is right based on the best advice given to them from the national and now local governments.

IF the state of MD AND the local municipality ALLOWS them to hold the tourney then they will and YOU can then decide whether YOU want to come and play (and not trying to be a d#ck, just being honest).

As I have stated before, there are 2 sides to every debate and all have good points but at the end of the day, hard choices have to made by SSUSA and by US as teams/players. I have asked my team who did not feel safe playing this tourney and none of my guys said they did so IF they hold it, we will be playing (we have to start SOMEWHERE, right?)

Last point: they made this a TOC due to Tidewater and ACC being cancelled so this could be the last opportunity for some teams in this area to qualify so my assumption that adds importance to TRYING to get this one to do if they are ALLOWED.

Good luck to you guys this year and hope to see you out there somewhere.

Like k man said, stay safe everyone! :-)
Sign-in to reply or add to a discussion or post your own message and start a new discussion. If you don't have a message board account, please register for a free nickname. It will only take a moment.
Senior Softball-USA
Phone: (916) 326-5303
Fax: (916) 326-5304
9823 Old Winery Place, Suite 12
Sacramento, CA 95827
Senior Softball-USA is dedicated to informing and uniting the Senior Softball Players of America and the World. Senior Softball-USA sanctions tournaments and championships, registers players, writes the rulebook, publishes Senior Softball-USA News, hosts international softball tours and promotes Senior Softball throughout the world. More than 1.5 million men and women over 40 play Senior Softball in the United States today. »SSUSA History  »Privacy policy

Follow us on Facebook